Friday, March 6, 2009

Background Info about Buckman

The Buckman Art Show & Sell showcases Portland’s vibrant and talented art community while raising much-needed funds for the city’s premier public elementary school with an arts-centered curriculum. Initiated by a team of dedicated parents and artists in 1991, this beloved community-wide event invites professional local artists to show their work in an energetic and family-oriented atmosphere. Opening night festivities kick off a weekend filled with artwork and performances by Buckman Elementary School Arts Focus students and artists from throughout the Portland area.

More than 100 established and emerging artists and craftspersons presenting a range of media and styles will be selected for the 19th annual Buckman Art Show & Sell. Artists—both professional and Buckman students—receive 70% of their proceeds, with the remaining 30% directly supporting Buckman’s art education programming. Thanks to the outstanding work of local artists and volunteers, last year’s artist sales grossed more than $63,000!

In 1989, Buckman Arts Magnet Elementary School became Portland's only public school with an arts-centered curriculum. Students attending Buckman receive weekly drama, art, music, and dance classes that encourage artistic and academic growth. The Buckman Art Show & Sell provides an exciting opportunity for students to envision and develop their own creative futures.

Here's a sneak preview of the displays:

No comments: